Followers

Saturday 2 April 2016

Angela's MDF Tutorial

It's  Angela  from Felix the Crafty Cat here and I have a Tutorial on how to make the Pram that you saw in the latest challenge and on Hochanda with Lisa.
 
 
 
This is how it arrived which is a bit scary!
 
 
So here we go!
Started with the main pieces for each side.

 
Sand the sections down a little to get a nice smooth surface and then seal with white Gesso.

 
The inside is then paint all over with Cosmic Shimmer, Matt Chalk Paint (Umber).

 
I used a sponge for this as it gives a better coverage than a brush.
 
 
 Next, turn the section over and paint the wheels, handle and edges.
Using screwed up tissue paper attach this with cosmic Shimmer glue to the hood. When this is dry the paint can be applied with a sponge or foam pad. I applied this a little at a time blending it together.
 
 
The same process is carried out with the other sections.



At this stage I applied the modelling paste through a Stencil (available at That Craft Place) and leave to dry thoroughly.

 
I then added the Turquoise (Pacific Teal) paint to the various sections as can be seen below and then a thin layer of the Cosmic Shimmer Crackle Glaze to the plain parts and allowed it to dry.
 

Once dry the black paint can be added and the Crackling will appear very quickly so it is important not to overwork the paint.


 The next step was to add more cogs which were cut from a TimHoltz die. You may notice that some of them have silver foil on them as they were left over from an earlier project but as I will be covering them with Gesso this is not a problem.

 
And so to the paint. I have to say that it does not look very promising at this stage but it will get better I promise Lol!
You may need a couple of coats for this to ensure a good coverage.
I wanted the wheels to look worn so I dry brushed the paint onto them leaving them patchy.

 
The next stage was to add the gilding flakes. Creative expressions stock a wide variety of colours and mixes but I used the pure silver for this. It is important to buff the gilding flakes thoroughly to get rid of any that is loose. It is possible to get special sponges for this or a soft brush will work too.
I also dry brushed black and silver paint onto the hood sections which I think gives a more balanced finish to the overall look.

 
I then decided that as this was a Steampunk Pram it needed some form of propulsion and wings seemed like the perfect thing.
These come in a set of three pairs in different sizes from That Craft Place.

 
Once these were completed I attached them to the hood of the pram.
Here you can see all the sections ready for assembly.
You will notice that I have also added some gears to the wheels too and some shiny studs along the centre to complete the design.
Also some lines of gilding on the hood.

 
When you put these together it is better to do one side and then the other as it is easier to push the end sections into the holes.
These are quite a firm fit so if you have too much paint on the tabs you may need to sand them a little.
To ensure the paint was fixed I added a thin layer of Cosmic Shimmer Clear Matt Finish Glaze.
 
And here she is all finished.
 
 
I have included a few  extra views so that you can get a good idea of what it looks like when completed.
 
 
 

 I hope you have enjoyed watching me make this.
If there is anything you need to know please ask and I will try to answer it.
I would love it if you could leave me a comment.

Thank you so much for stopping by.
 
 Happy crafting,
 
Angela x
 
All the mediums used here are available from That Craft Place.
Don't forget our latest challenge is HERE.

If you have enjoyed my posts here at That Craft Place I would love it if you pop over HERE to my blog and continue to follow me.

Links you need to know 

5 comments:

  1. Wowzer Angela this is a fantastic Project. Great planning! It looks amazing finished and I really enjoyed your tutorial with photos as well as the instructions. You certainly got messy! I LOVE it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super tutorial Angela and great to see all your stages. Just love it.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie for stopping by and the lovely comment. Big hugs, Angela x

      Delete
  3. Fantastic project, Angela! Thanks for the tutorial! It's a lot less mystifying when you see how it was done!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10